Overall....not bad

Here is a question people at work, friends of mine, and family keep asking me. "How does it feel to be done with college, to be graduated?"

I quickly answer that I can't tell the difference. Why? Because I'm still broke.
Yep. That about sums it up. So for those who don't know, I started my new job here at Ball Aerospace on July 2nd. Unfortunately, I came in on a pay week, so I'd have to wait until July 20th (this coming Friday) to get paid....Ugghhhhh....

Do you know what that means? Ok, basically this. I didn't have a signing bonus because Ball has an amazing relocation program. They moved ALL of my stuff, and my car, and paid for me to live in a hotel for 2 weeks BEFORE the moving truck got here, paid for all my meals and my flight out here. So yeah, I can't really complain there. But in being here, there is still a TON of stuff I need for my apartment. I have to register my plates, get a new license, EAT, pay bills already (stupid comcast and my energy bill) and a I may have gone to the bars a few times in Boulder and Denver. So yeah, all I keep doing is spending money for stuff I need (alcohol is a need) and I'm not seeing any back. But that will all change Thursday at midnight.

As far as everything else, I love it here. It has rained maybe twice and every now and then we'll get an afternoon thunderstorm which is cool to watch with the mountains in view. It has been incredibly hot....it was 101 yesterday and today it's 100 but there is no humidity or hardly any if there is, so that's a definite plus. It's still weird for me to actual say this is my home now, because it all seems so surreal, but I'm liking what I've experienced.

My job is going well too. I'm working in the Systems Integration and Test Group here at Ball in Civil & Operational Space. I'm gonna be working on a project called Worldview 2 and I'm in charge of the Electrical Power and Distribution System (EPDS). Ok, what that means for the non-technical people is that I'm in charge of everything relating to electrical power with this satellite, which is a pretty big job, but I'm pumped about it. I also learned yesterday that when this satellite is ready (hopefully Winter of 2009) and we go to launch that I get to go with it along with some other engineers to Vandenburg AFB to do more testing and get it ready for launch. That should last 2 - 3 months....so hell yeah!!! You can read a little about my project here: http://ballaerospace.com/page.jsp?page=82

So everything seems to be going well so far....but Murphy's law remains in effect.

0 comments: